Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Playing together leads to staying together


One of major reasons I try to stay fit is because I am motivated by my wife. Like me, she is also a 50-something person who likes to stay fit by exercising every day -- either running, bicycling or on a fitness center stairmaster. Before I met her nearly seven years ago, I was in reasonably good shape because of my weekend recreational warrior activities but I was not into a daily fitness routine. She never directly urged me to become a runner like she is, but after seeing her get up every weekday morning at 4:30 a.m. for her morming run, I admit it inspired me. I don't run at that hour of the morning, but I do run nearly every noon hour during my work days. Not only is it great for my cardio vascular system, I find it's also mentally refreshing to get away from the office for an hour. But back to my thesis for today: Sharing outdoor recreation activities with my wife is a great way to share our lives. (That's the two of us in the kayaking photo.) While we motivate each other to stay in shape, we are also are also sharing conversation and sharing our lives with each other. I came across this article from USAToday that spells it out quite well: http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2008-07-15-fun-in-marriage_N.htm?loc=interstitialskip

No comments:

Post a Comment